During the spring, warm fronts might contain strong thunderstorms. The most severe weather carries with it the potential to do major damage to your property. As weather threats increase, protecting your possessions should be a priority. One thing you should not neglect is your car.
Vehicles have near-direct exposure to any type of weather that strikes them. Though very durable, cars cannot withstand severe weather any more than the rest of your property can. So, when weather threatens, do what you can to protect your vehicle. You might avoid a lot of damage with just a few protective measures.
Protecting Your Car During Severe Weather
When you have time to prepare for severe weather, take a few minutes to look around your property. Is there anything you can do to make your car safer?
- Move the car into your garage or carport if you have one.
- Avoid parking under trees or near bushes. Should limbs fall during storms, they might fall on and damage the car.
- Consider investing in a weather-resistant vehicle cover. This device might help protect the vehicle from falling objects or hail damage.
- Ensure you roll up your vehicle's windows. You don't want rain or other debris damaging the interior. Many people forget to check their windows, and the damage might prove costly.
- Check your lights and tires. The lights should not flicker. Tires should have strong treads, pressure and balances. Should you get caught driving in severe weather, these systems can help you maintain control and visibility.
- If you ever have to drive in severe weather, do so cautiously. Slow down, stay in your lane and use your lights as needed. In the most severe circumstances, many drivers pull over and wait for the worst of the weather to pass. If you decide to do so, pull into a parking lot or far off the side of the highway. Engage your emergency flashers to ensure others see you.
In the event that your car sustains damage in severe weather, your auto insurance policy might be able to help cover your costs. If you have comprehensive coverage, you can likely get protection from weather damage.
For example, let's say a severe storm causes substantial hail damage to your exterior. With the right comprehensive coverage, in place you can get the money to help pay for repairs.
So, if a severe storm damages your vehicle, contact Affordable Insurance Group. Your agent can help you understand how much protection you have for this damage. And if you need to add comprehensive coverage to your policy, we're happy to assist with that as well.